Ranchi: Ranchi police has so far registered as many as 25 FIRs in the connection with Friday mob violence that erupted during a protest against controversial statements made by suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma against Prophet Muhammad.
Senior superintendent of police (SSP) of Ranchi Surendra Kumar Jha who had sustained injuries in that incident, informed this in a joint press conference on Sunday along with Deputy Commissioner Chhavi Ranjan and SP (City) Anshuman Kumar at the collectorate here.
The SSP said that so far 25 FIRs have been registered in connection with the violence which has 22 named accused while there are several hundred unmanned accused. He said the probe has been started and action will be taken in all the FIRs on the basis of evidence.
While informing about the FIRs he made it clear that innocent will not be touched while those involved in the incident will not be spared at any cost.
“Those who are directly or indirectly involved in the violence will not be spared at any cost but those who are not involved need not worry. No one will be touched without any proper evidence,” SSP Jha said.
After the violence erupted it was said by a section of people in the state that it was due to intelligence failure. Expressing his disagreement with the statement the SSP said that there was no intelligence failure. He said that police had inputs on the incident and due to that inputs the action could be taken properly and attempts of anti-social elements to disturb the capital could be foiled to much extent.
On asked whether the decision of opening fire was not excessive against those participating in the procession the SSP said police officials are properly trained to analyze the situation and take action according to the need of the hour.
He asked the people not to be worried as 3500 security personnel have been deputed across the city where as many as 38 pockets have been identified as vulnerable. He said as many as 50 bike squads are keeping vigil in sensitive areas. He on the occasion urged people to ensure proper use of internet service and help police nab those spreading rumours or spreading hatred in the society.
Earlier addressing the press conference DC Ranjan justified the police action of June 10 saying ‘minimum force’ was used to control the ‘frenzied crowd’. He during the press conference claimed law and order to be under control. He said after an assessment of the situation SDO has withdrawn enforcement of section 144 of from six of the 12 police station areas. He said that in the areas where section 144 is still enforced people have been asked to do necessary purchasing in between 1 pm to 5 pm and co-operate with district administration.
The police station areas where section 144 is still enforced include Lower Bazar, Hindpiri, Daily Market, Kotwali, Chutia and Doranda. The DC also accepted that two people had been killed in the incident who have been buried as per their traditions. He also urged the people to extend their cooperation to the people to maintain peace and harmony in the capital and restore normalcy.