Ranchi: In case of death of prisoners due to the negligence of jail staff, their dependents will get a compensation of four lakhs. However, compensation will not be given to the family members for the death of a prisoner while absconding from jail or escaping from legal custody outside the jail.
The Home Affairs and Disaster Management Department has issued an order regarding this.
- In case of death due to mutual quarrel between prisoners Rs 05 lakhs.
- In case of death due to poisoning, Rs 05 lakhs.
- In case of death due to torture or beating by jail staff, Rs 05 lakhs.
- In case of death due to negligence of duty by an employee, Rs 04 lakhs.
- In case of suicide by a prisoner, Rs 03 lakhs.
- In case of death of a prisoner in jail, DC of the district will get the post-mortem report, final cause of death, time of prisoner’s arrival in jail and details of treatment.
After this, review will be done by a six-member committee constituted under the chairmanship of DC. After which the compensation will be paid to the dependents through their bank account within 30 days.